Wednesday 13 April 2022

MISH-MASH




 Sometimes you know when things are just right. It has been a while since I have put together a presentation, hung it on a wall and invited all and sundry to come have a look and see what they can see.
Last month I was invited by Karolina, owner of Mish_Mash, one of Dublins finest  independent coffee shops, to do just that. I have to admit, Although I had one large piece in this years Halftone print fair,  in the past couple of  years I have been reluctant to put my work out there in a public presentation. But the calm and the attitude that exudes from both Karolina and her place assured me that this was the right   time to step up with  a series.




I decided to try and bring the viewer to this  virtual space by using two posts from my blog here at the lilliputian.
Because the issue at hand within these post had both local and global dimensions,
it work resonated with Karolina, and so we moved forward.
The idea behind the work may actually not be the work itself, and this, I hope will prove to be the reward for those who take a second look at the pieces and go online to check out the posts that the show points to.

The work aims to demonstrate how the written word can effect the meaning, or indeed refine and concentrate the meaning of a series of photographs.
The work itself tries to distract at the surface and uses the thinly veiled disguise of typology
to hang the work as a series of similars. It succeeds at this I feel, and therefor will entertain the casual   glance. However if one follows the crumbs dropped in the space - if one wants to seek out another  meaning of the work - one can be taken off in a completely different direction - a direction that points at nasty side of human nature - mans ability to take advantage of an unfortunate situation.


Mish Mash is for me one of the calmest spaces in Dublin 
If you have not been I invite you to have a visit while my work is 
hanging here. I am looking forward to reaction to the works 
and I am now happy to show once more in public,
and I am delighted to find that this is the ideal place to return to the 
public domain with my artworks, and look forward to showing 
many times more in the coming years as my work evolves 
and I finish the series I am currently working on.

Keep your eye open here for news of upcoming events
and at davidmonahan.eu for new series.
And remember a great coffee is waiting for you at MISH MASH





No comments:

Post a Comment