Friday 1 October 2010

ANY PORT IN A STORM!!

There is no doubt about it this country definitely shut down over two years ago.
Most in business believed it was a short term thing and all would be good again pretty soon.
But hey you and me, the guys trying to make it on a weekly basis, the fellow operating without a salary,
we know more than the average Bank or state employee about the real state of the economy.
For the moment its peaks and troughs all the time(or as the Dude put it gutters and strikes).
You just dont know what any given week is going to throw at you.
When the building boom finally stopped Lynn Murphy found herself out of work and moved to Australia.
She has been there for 18 months now and has found a life.
She returned to Dublin some weeks ago for a friends wedding and she found herself reflecting on the past life she had here.
Here is what she had to say
"I was home for a wedding of a good friend from school, the visit was long overdue. It has been an odd few weeks being back, cathartic in some ways as I was able to see for myself everything that is going on - as opposed to just hearing about the tales of horror from friends and family and the papers. In other ways though it has renewed my love for my home city - its beauty, the friendliness of the people, how they keep on kicking never losing their sense of humour despite all the doom and gloom. The visit has also been good as it has confirmed for me that I know I made the right decision in leaving. The experiences I have had since I left have for the most part only been positive - travel broadening the mind and all that malarkey. I know how lucky I am to be living in such a beautiful place as Sydney. And as I said the other night being away has made me appreciate what I have at home - great friends and a wonderful family. No matter where I live, Dublin will always be my home.

I was working for the interior design store Haus in Temple Bar, it came to an end as it was just no longer possible to keep trading once the market went dead. Now, in Oz, I'm working for a similar company that carries alot of the same product but operates on a much bigger scale and the experience to date has only been positive. Professionally it has been fantastic to see variations between different consumer markets - how companies treat the same product so very differently."

She misses Dublin dearly! a feeling I believe that is shared by all the others I have photographed so far.
There is one and only one common thing that holds all of these people together and that is given the opportunity,and circumstances being right to provide them with what they needed,they would all willingly stay in this our great little town,Dublin.
It has always been my intention to show our city as a central part of this project ,and so far I think this has been the case and long may it continue.
I wish the best to Lynn in the future and I really hope she makes it back to Dublin if that is where she needs to be.But for the meantime Sydney beckons,and by now she has most likely left,and that could,but for the odd wedding,be for good!!
Artur Sikora,and Gemma Geraghty helped to reveal the beauty of Dun Laoighre harbour ,Its beauty like this that will hold us together.
It hurts me to think of Sean Fitzpatricks hidden €100 million loans,and how this and all the other hidden black business has left the ordinary citizen of Ireland Paying and Paralyzed unable to eject those clinging to the charred reigns of power.But Hey we have got to realise that some day maybe soon the dominoes will start to topple in our own Dáil and Ironically it might be someone like Michael Lowry who leads the revolt.
Big thanks again to Lynn and to Louise o Connor for alerting her to this project.Please keep looking and alerting friends on the move to this project I really want it to get BIG.
please use twitter ,facebook and the sociable tabs on the left to publicise this blog

5 comments:

  1. Great work Dave, Artur and Gemma. And your write up Dave. I literally take the boat this eve, and after this week with it's cement trucks and black Thursdays - I can't help feeling like I'm off in the nick of time. Your write up for this shot nicely 'nutshells' my thoughts and feelings too. Whatever about the Seanies, Biffo's, Inda's and Harnies etc. I am really feeling leaving this city, and without getting too melodramatic - it feels like a 'little' death. At least it's only London for me though. and in that regard I guess I could say I'm already looking forward to my little trips back over to the afterlife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Conor,its great to have this dialogue,I know it s all going to work out!(it will take some time!) but please keep commenting here as you move form station to station.
    big thanks for providing me with my favourite shot to date.
    david

    ReplyDelete
  3. all what's happening around is pretty sad. no doubt. i am staying however where i am...at least for now. will let you know if the time when i am gonna be next subject for this project will come ;D
    great image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Artur something tells me this town is your kind of place .So please do stick around!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah.you are absolutely right ;) cheers

    ReplyDelete